It was built by the City of Ascoli in contempt of the rights of theCity of Fermo that, by virtue of a privilege granted by Otto IV in 1211, had the domain over the coastline territories from the Tronto river to Potenza city.
Such privilege established that noboby couldn't build any edifice nor fortress, along the coast for the depth of one kilometer, without the consent of Fermo.
Ascoli absolutey wanted an outlet to the sea, so in three years they built the fortress. But in 1348, Gentile da Mogliano besieged the fortress with his army and captured it in 40 days. The whole fortress was razed down but the Guelph tower.