Website realized with CMS for accessible websites e-ntRA - RA Computer Spa
The tower is an old observatory dating back to XII-XIII century and its visual and environmental impact is remarkable. In fact it is the landmark and the symbol of the town.
In 1145, the Bishop of Fermo, Liberto, under whose jurisdiction 'San Benedetto upon Albula' conceded to the Gualtieri's a sufficient portion of land to build a castle surrounded by gardens. He authorized also the bulding and maybe the renewal and the reinforcement of the defensive tower of the fortress. He entrusted the care and the property of it to Berardo and Azzo, Gualtieri's sons who were already owners of lands beyond the river Tronto and of a castle in another village of the province, Acquaviva. The observatory tower could supervise a large coastal space that went from the river Tronto up to the border with the village of Cupra Marittima. This was because the sea had receded and in its observation cone there were no other buldings. The tower has an hexagonal lengthened plant in the shape of a ship, it is 20 mt tall and the sides are 5 mt each. Walls are 1,5 mt thick.
The "Tower", by his watch, animated by a mechanism built in 1906, marks every hour of the day, and if is affectionately called by the Sambenedettesi "Lu campanò". After a careful restoration, it was reopened to the public in 2001 and it can be now accessed up to the top where you can admire an enchanting panorama of the city
For any information, please contact: